You want a visceral reaction.
A spine-tingling, goosebumpy reaction.
You want to leave them thinking …
“OMG, this person is inside my head.”
So – the first step in being able to do that is to get super, super clear about who your ideal client is and what drives them.
The narrower your niche, the more profoundly your message will hit home.
Here’s an exercise that helps you get clear on who your audience is …
Just stop what you’re doing for a second and spend time thinking about this.
I promise you, doing this exercise will make a massive difference to the results you get with your copy.
Think about what’s going on for you in your life right now? Not just in your business?
Now answer the following questions:
1. What do you absolutely crave or yearn for? What kind of things get you SO excited you spend a lot of your time dreaming about it and focusing on it?
2. What gets you so stressed, it puts your stomach in knots. It stops you from sleeping. It consumes you.
3. What terrifies you and makes you break out into a cold sweat … and why?
4. What gets you angry and frustrated … and why?
5. What makes you feel hopeless?
6. What do you beat yourself up about?
7. What do you fantasise about … and why?
Now before I go onto the next point, can I ask, “How deep did you dig into that?”
Did you answer each question with one line like …
Q. What do you beat yourself up about?
A. Getting distracted by the next big thing.
Or did you go into a lot of detail and say something like that….
A. Jumping from one shiny object to another – to another – to another. Constantly on the look out for the next big thing. Getting addicted to jumping on something new, starting something then not finishing.
I’m in this constant holding pattern. Not getting traction. It feels like groundhog day.
I’m wasting SO much time on that next shiny object that I could have spent making money.
I’m addicted because secretly deep down I don’t trust myself to make the right decision. I figure that if I hedge my bets if one thing doesn’t fly, maybe the second one will.
But because my head is so busy jumping from one thing to another, I don’t launch anything. It drives me nuts. It saps my energy. It drains my confidence. It’s losing me a ton of money.
It’s a real problem and I know it’s the reason why I’m not way more successful but I don’t know what to do about it.
See how getting very specific and writing more detail uncovers some real nuggets that you can use in your copy?
Now … what you want to do is go back to those questions and answer them but when you do , think about your ideal client. Get specific.
- Why are they feeling this way?
- How is it affecting their life – their income, their relationship, their health, their state of mind?
- Give specific examples.